Plodding around the Web trying to find some rare Iris or Lily seeds to get me going when spring and its cotyledons come around, I stumbled upon a South African site called BidorBuy, a kind of eBay for seeds. My success with Irises, Lilies and Gladioli has given me some much-needed confidence when it comes to bulbs from seed (I'm convinced 90% of what makes "green fingers" is confidence, the other 10% being knowledge and an innate feel for the plants).
It wasn't the easiest of sites to navigate but I found myself buying packets of 10-30 seeds of eight species I am completely unfamiliar with. I just went for the ones I liked the look of; did no research; and so am totally in the dark on how to treat them but with the Rand being quite weak I spent less than £20 so if even one or two of them come good it will have been worth it.
|This is Babiana attenuata, a member of the Iridaceae (trust me!). Ten seeds cost about 70p|
|Another Babiana, odorata, which grows in clay soils in the northwest and southwest cape. The flowers apparently have a spicy violet fragrance! © Pacific Bulb Society|
I have also taken a shine to a Clematis flowering in the schoolyard next door. By dangling myself and my broken foot over the wall I was just able to grab a handful of fluffy seedhead. It's a blue/purple macropetala looking thing so quite what its progeny, if it comes up, will look like is interesting and exciting to think about (I'm so sad!).
Also sown, in the hope that they will stay put until spring, were Cyclamen pseudibericum, Clematis ladakhiana, Penstemon digitalis and Iris graminea (again).
|C. Ladakhiana. Not a thing of conventional beauty but I like it!|
Rhododendron vireya "Saxon Glow" is about to burst into flower again! There are fully formed flower buds all down one side of the bush! Mad...
|Out of season: "Saxon Glow" has rarely been without at least the odd flower since May|
A few of the Frits are beginning to show signs of growth, as is Iris svetlanae so a tentative drink has been taken but I've got to remember that it's only November.
Well, sorry I haven't posted for a few days, got to pay the bills and it's dark when I get home so there's no chance on getting the snapper out. Have a great weekend and get out into that garden, even if it's just for a check up. The Plantboy